Week 6: Material culture – Everyday life

 In her article, Laura Oswald describes the tendency of people today to purchase items judging by their aesthetic value and looks and much less by their practical use. Normally since we live in such a consumer-oriented society, everyone has done this at least once in their life. Personally, I too am guilty of doing this. I have bought a lighter in a store for 100din just because it looks nice, instead of purchasing a basic one for 20din. While it does serve the same practical purpose, there is no need to waste a 100din on a lighter if a much cheaper alternative functions the same way. There are other items which I could easily find to be of no significant use in my apartment which simply offer the sense of satisfaction.

The first item would be a sweet-chili sauce which I buy when it goes on sale. To me, the only condiments I regularly use are mayonnaise and ketchup, but there is something about that chili sauce which just makes me instantly buy it as soon as I see it is on sale. The packaging is nice and it tastes fantastic, but it is certainly not a requirement for any meal.

The next item would be a bottle of Chardonnay wine which I got for my birthday. Most students I believe have some form of an alcoholic beverage in their homes and I am no exception. Though I personally don’t like wine too much, I feel like it represents my days as a student. Plus the bottle looks really nice. Again, it is an item which is not necessary for me to use on a daily basis, but it is nice to have it.

Finally I would list coffee here, since I drink at least 3 cups every day, on a regular basis. It reflects my days in middle school as I always remember the first time I started drinking it. I used to get up really early for the school bus so I would naturally drink one cup in the morning and one after school. I guess that habit has stuck with me.

When it comes to buying a product simply for its packaging, I bought an old school N.E.S. console because it was neatly wrapped up and inside it even had a display case on which I could put the games I have. Nowadays I don’t even play the console but still it’s nice to remember what kind of entertainment was popular back in the day.

Comments

Popular Posts