WK8 Material culture: Television and Cultural forms

 Material culture: Television and Cultural forms


What definitely changed a lot over time is how often I watch TV. I used to watch it way more when I was younger, probably because of (better) cartoons back then. My brother and I would be up early waiting for out favourite show to start. Television was also an important way of learning English, for me. 

Over time, the shows have changed, everything I could see on TV was terrible news and I started developing this negative energy towards it. Since that time, I prefer to watch only specific channels that broadcast my favourite detective shows or interesting movies, so that I can watch it with my loved ones. Also, life itself became faster, so we all started downloading movies immediately when they come out so that we can be the first to see them. Television doesn't play a big role in my life currently and I feel like it made me feel more sane, healthy and free to do some better things in life. One thing that still happens is that the TV is usually always on when the family's home, for some reason. I guess we're just used to the sounds. 

It was never about the television, as much as it was about who was watching it with me and the memories we made during that time. Since the television program changed, our habits did too. I became more picky about the shows and movies and only watch what I'm really interested in, even if it's on Netflix. 

              MAD MAN

Mad Men clearly defines gender roles at work and at home. Matthew Weiner depicts the changing outlooks and requirements on the conventionally powerful position of masculinity, while portraying the upward movement of some white women in the office, showing that their opportunities expand in the changing cultural climate and by their own actions. Because Western society is inherently patriarchal in nature, economic competition in a capitalist society is affected by gender correspondingly, giving preference to men. Accordingly, gender is a major factor involved in the interactions and problems of Mad Men’s characters. That's why, for some people watching the show can be nostalgic, but for most it should be tragic. Throughout the show, men become voyeurs and aggressors towards women. Same old stereotypes follow us. 


Comments

Popular Posts