WEEK 8 HOMEWORK



When it comes to the way that me and my family view television, it has changed drastically over the passing decade. Only a mere 10 years ago we would all sit, together, on the couch for our weekly episode of a chosen TV show. In that time, TV shows were an exclusive, if you missed the weekly showing, you would have to scramble in order to catch the replay. And if you do not catch it, good luck finding it online and not getting a massive virus on your computer. Nowadays that has changed drastically, I have Netflix, as most people do, and it has truly changed my viewing experience. Firstly I have the great pleasure of choosing what I want , when I want it, without exception. This has increased my viewing of TV shows also, since it plays to my addictive sides. But one big aspect is that I now watch alone. Actually we all watch alone, in our own receding free time. And then only compare notes afterwards. Another effect of this view on demand culture, is that TV shows seem to have lost their. In the presence of multitudes, our brains cannot seem to choose the favorites, and the really good ones seem less so. Our attention is decreasing, and our pleasure getting diluted.


In the critically acclaimed series Mad Men misogyny is ever present. Sadly, it is the show of the times that the TV show tries to depict. The 60s were not a particularly auspicious time to be a woman. If you were one, you were looked at as less intelligent and hard working. This type of attitude is ubiquitous throughout the show, and is encased in the show's patriarchal lead characters. These characters display hubris towards every woman who would dare bat an eye, or god forbid form an opinion. The result is the polarization of the culture. Where men chase success, and women should only be concerned with their looks.

Comments

  1. Try to avoid using "when it comes to" in speech or writing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts