WEEK 6 HOMEWORK

In today's consumer culture everybody seems to have the illness of over consumption. This common disease manifests itself in the ways that we choose the things we will buy. In most cases, most of us would have to admit, most of us do not buy for the sole purpose of the thing, but also for the aesthetic aspect that it delivers. I as everyone, usually succumb to this type of consumership.

The first instance of this in my life was my choice of glasses. I needed them badly, as I had found out that I have very bad eyesight. However while looking for the right glasses, I completely ignored any aspect other than the aesthetic one. This one aspect seemed to pervade my mind, I also managed to forget the sole reason for my wanting of glasses in the first place- to see better. 

In more recent times I find myself trying to abstain from such type of behavior. But also I seem to find it extremely difficult. Our modern world is massaged in such ways to promote consumerist behavior, you always need better, more pretty. Why buy a normal watch, when you can have one that makes the women swoon. I find the greatest difficulty while buying practical stuff such as books, always looking for the cover to be pleasing to the eye, even though, the writing inside is the key component.

Comments

Popular Posts