WK8

I remember that back in the days, watching TV was kind of a family activity, especially when cable television wasn’t so common yet and households usually had only one device. As a child, I didn’t enjoy the non-animated movies and series much, but I had to settle with them. Still, I remember waking up as early as possible on weekends to catch the cartoons on air. I really miss that excitement I used to have. Later, when I was in kindergarten, when I misbehaved, my mother would punish me by forbidding me to watch TV. That’s how addicted I was. As I grew older, I started to become less and less interested. I still liked to have the TV on to provide some background noise, but my attention shifted to something else, either my phone or reading something. There was a period in my life when I binge watched (literally binge watched, imagine doing this all day, every day throughout the whole summer, with at least 5 movies daily, but sometime this number was 8…) series or movies on my laptop, either by downloading them illegally or finding online streaming websites, but since I’m really picky, now I’m having a hard time finding films I’d like, so sometimes I rewatch ones I really liked. However, I think that searching for something instead of being excited about it and looking forward to watching it somehow killed the vibe, its magic. Nowadays, the only occasion when I watch actual television is when I’m at home, having my coffee in the morning. Other than that, I enjoy listening to podcasts or watching videos on Youtube.

Mad Men

The show Mad Men portrays the American society of the 1960s. It shows us the old stereotypes of the gender roles, how women had to listen to men without complaining. Men were viewed as rulers, both at home and at work, and women were dependent on men. However, keep in mind that this can be referred to as old stereotypes only in modern Western societies. A couple of days ago, I came across a video on Youtube that was made by a Qatari sociologist, and it was a tutorial on how husbands should beat their wives correctly. He named a few of the reasons why a woman could or should be beaten, which, to me, were ridiculous of course. Yet, I believe that the people of that culture do not question the morality of this behaviour at all. In fact, they probably view this as normal. I feel sorry for those women, but I still don’t think that the feminazi agenda should prevail either. I think there should be balance (but not complete equality) between men and women, because if we were completely equal, we would be created the same. My opinion is that there are things which men are good at, and there are things that women are good at, we shouldn’t be competing with each other, just complementing each other.

Comments

  1. It is not exactly a fair conclusion that the "people of that culture do not question the morality..." and there are many examples of Muslim people emphatically condemning radicalization of Islam, not only with respect to the gender hierarchy promoted by religious leaders of a particular fraction. Also, contrasting extreme views (radical Islam against what you call "feminazi") represents the either/or fallacy, and you do not establish a relevant link with the tv show in question. Wandering off the topic like this, creates an impression that the writer is not really interested in the content to be discussed, or did not engage with the topic beyond random observations and personal (unsubstantiated) opinions...Be careful how you structure information in your writing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts